Tuesday, February 28, 2006

History of the Art of Orissa - Charles Louis Fabri (1975)

One of the pioneers researchers who has studied Orissa Art and Culture very closely. Particularly, the temples of Orissa and the difference of art forms in various times. Sculptures in Orissa has been influenced significantly from Buddhist, Parsis and South Indian cultures significantly. The existence of two yogini temples in close proximity definitely specifies the society's belief in the occult.

Fabri has kept his descriptions close to the art and have not explored much of ancient Oriya civilization. The degradation of skills of artisans have been pointed out categorically over the periods.

Excellent book to read if you are looking forward to understand Orissa's temples. It was an eye opener for me in terms of existence of temples which I had no idea of.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

April 26 1965 Dr Charles Fabri wrote to me: "I am far from well. Working too hard, with very high blood pressure, killing myself slowly. I am in bad need of a holiday but cannot afford it. No money. Christopher and I are probably going to Orissa for a few weeks, but it will be work again, to complete my book on the history of Orissa art. Then in September I'll have to go to Trivandrum to deliver 20 lectures at the University of Kerala - a very great honour, but hard work. I doubt if I'll survive it." Dr Fabri was a very inspiring intellectual to meet. Kristian Romare, art critic.

Surely Youre Joking Mr Feynman: Richard Feynmann (1985)

A maverick!!! That is what you feel when you read the book. A person who does not agree to anything that does not meet his line of work or t...